The National Trust received 260 entries from regional and metropolitan schools in this year’s annual competition. Students from eighteen schools as far north as Karratha and Geraldton, east to Kalgoorlie and south to Albany took part in the competition which is in it ninth year.
National Trust Education Manager, Joy Lefroy, said the annual event highlights to students the significance of their local environment and history now and into the future.
“The competition encourages students to show how they value a special place and their local heritage through story writing and images,” Ms Lefroy said.
The competition is open to four age groups for photo and story, photo, and multimedia categories. This year Engineers Australia (WA) provided special sponsorship for the Golden Pipeline Category celebrating the 101h anniversary of the National Trusts Golden Pipeline project and 110tn anniversary of opening of Goldfields Water Supply Scheme. Other sponsors include Fremantle Press, Scitech and Perth Centre for Photography.
Winners came from St Mary’s Primary School in Kalgoorlie, Baynton West Primary School in Karratha Mindarie Primary School, Australind Senior High School as well as North Cottesloe
Primary School, East Maddington Primary School and Anzac Terrace Senior High Schoolin Perth.
“The National Trust is delighted with the support the Photo and Story competition receives from teachers around the state and the students’ winning entries clearly demonstrate their excellent writing and photography skills, their knowledge of local history and their recognition of the value of the places in terms of their significant heritage,” Ms Lefroy said.
Golden Pipeline Wnners
- Photo: Year 1-3 The Palace Theatre: Sarah McCallum
- Photo Year 4-6 Broome: Rhianna McCallum
- Story Year 1-3 Esperance: Harry Winn
- Story Year 4-6 Lost in the Bush: Emma Maughan
- Multimedia Year 9-10 Our Lake: The Year 10 Class of Eastern Hills Senior High School Mt Helena
WA Wide Winners
- Photo Year 1-3 Teenager Ghost Attack: Yong Ivan Zhao
- Photo Year 4-6 Under the Waves: Holly Graham
- Photo Year 7-8 My Grandma’s Story: Rebecca Currie
- Photo Year 9-10 A Simple Flash: Kaitlin Williams
- Story Year 1-3 The Day I met Ernest Cockman: Toby Pogson
- Story Year 4-6 Memories of War: William Hart
- Story Year 7-8 Hearson’s Cove: Nasvyaa Shukla
- Story Year 9-10 Margaret River Cottage: Zach Willmot
- Multimedia Year 4-6 My Favourite Fishing Spot: James Parkey