Pinjarra Court House

Pinjarra Court House

This site was used for court and justice services for 138 years prior to the current building circa 1935. The first Court House was built in 1864 and was then situated next to the police station, on land formerly occupied by the military barracks. A garden also surrounded the site, which was tended to by the prisoners held in lock up. Prior to the completion of this Court House, the Resident Magistrate held sessions at the Oakley Inn – also providing banking and other government department representation.

When the new school opened in 1921, the court services were transferred to the Old School House and the original Court House fell into disrepair – it was later demolished in 1925.

A new Court House was not erected until 1935, after the economy bounced back from the Great Depression.

The main types of cases heard at the Court House included all the standard- traffic, illegal betting and petty crimes, but also a high proportion of fishing offences. This was not so unusual given that Pinjarra was located on the Murray River and included the Peel-Harvey Estuary, and that there was a successful fishing industry at the time.

The Pinjarra Court House is an intact example of Inter-War Georgian Revival Style with Art Deco stylistic detailing.

The Old Court House is currently leased by the City of Pinjarra. It is a space for creatives, entrepreneurs, businesses and other like minds to cowork, cocreate and coinnovate.

It has up to 7 hot desks and a meeting room available to be booked online at not cost and hosts regular workshops and events that could help your business, venture or project grow!

‚ÄčIt is also home to a ‘Makers Residence’ with creatives able to do residencies at the Court House to take time out to develop their creative practice, launch their products, try a concept or test the location with little investment.

Join the National Trust Community
Subscribe now
Follow Us On
Back to Top of the page.